Sunday 28 February 2021

 The spares 



The Phone Box storyboard I struggled with least, again as mentioned in 'the spares' for my Utility Pole, I think because I'm currently surrounded by very natural landscape and scenery and have been trying to get out for a walk most days. 

On top of that I had most fun with these images, I think because this storyboard was mostly influenced by comedian Frankie Boyle and his outspoken version of the future. With certain slides, like the one of the phone box in a desert, I didn't spent much time on them, they seemed fairly nihilistic and yet funny without loads of work. I will be the first to admit though some of them could maybe use a slight finessing, not the desert one though, perfect as is, like low budget Doctor Who.

(See lower in the blog for finalised storyboard)

I love the work of Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle. He challenges where most others don't dare, pushing the more important subjects in modern society to the forefront of his routines. a lot of his more modern work sees him talk about the challenges we face as a society going forward and so I thought it couldn't hurt to maybe look over some of his 'New World Order' series on BBC.



The wealth of quotes I could choose from here is extraordinary, though I will try to be selective.

"I've a message for young People, dont be afraid of the future, it's going to be... so brief!" - NWO Series 4, mid Covid Pandemic

"Its impossible to know what it'll be like to die in a nuclear explosion... maybe you'll get to see your family melt before the blast picks you up and your finally memory will be of their faces devolving into cubism" - NWO, little art based.

"People say the best thing you can do for the planet is veganism, I don't think so. I think the best thing you can do for the planet is cannibalism. If you can eat one other person, you've managed to reduce your carbon footprint by 100 percent"


I think it is fair to say that Frankie Boyle's outlook on the future is, to say the least, bleak. Though, that said, it did really help me to imagine my own, I think because in the larger sense, I agree with these views and feel humor is necessary when trying to visualise a harrowing truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment