Thursday 21 January 2021

 Sketch Work




I always loved those posters from the 20's-50's that were advertising a location and thought maybe I could do something similar, picturing a beautiful vista or beach scene with the car in the foreground but having the whole image show obvious signs of disuse and degradation.





I started looking for miniatures and dioramas that imagined similar settings and what other people had thought these futures would look like and drew from them.


Always having had a fascination with abandoned spaces, which has cropped up before in university projects, I looked through old photos of my own I had taken while rummaging through forgotten buildings. I feel no space looks totally derelict without graffiti, this is basic but I feel sometimes it should be, not everyone can does, can.



Started looking at wall sections, as building an entire 4 walled structure with all the detail in this timeframe will be tricky.


(This is where my scanner gave up on me, only photos from here) More wall sections.



Started thinking about what objects could be made/drawn into a background. (Cloud scapes and Telephone pole)


Look at degradation in actual buildings as well as miniature ones.



Something has always spooked me about telephone boxes, grown up in the years they had just started to become obsolete, to me, they are a constant reminder of life before modern technology and the state of disrepair most of them now stand in just goes to show what happens to spaces without regular upkeep. 


Thinking similarly to the telephone boxes, what other signs would tell you, that you had left todays world and entered a derlict one? coca-cola sign in bad shape, petrol station unused and water towers half wrecked?...

With this and a lot more sketch work completed, I felt it was time to start designing my own space and thinking about how to make it...







No comments:

Post a Comment